Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Wood Chipper

I was explaining to my friend Ben this afternoon that I have a little bit of anxiety over the Las Palomas Triathlon in Mexico this weekend. I told him that usually during the run portion I am really hurting. I think my exact words were "I would rather be fed slowly into a wood chipper." Ben then made a statement that I found to be very intriguing, he said that psychological warfare is the unnamed forth discipline of triathlon. Damn, he was right and I was one of the warfare casualties. The psychological warfare I have been engaging in has been against myself. From now on I am going to approach all three disciplines especially the run with a positive outlook and phase out any thoughts of pain and self pity. I am going to crush the run, the days of it getting one over on me are over, no matter how slow I go.
But whatever should I wear? I own a one-piece spandex triathlon suit that looks ridiculous on me. It is black and yellow and basically makes me look like a round bumble bee (but it makes me feel fast). The second option is the orange AZ Tri-Club jersey and shorts. And last but not least is the emerald green Speedo with sequins that Ben said he has bought me, this must be more of the psychological warfare stuff he was talking about.

2 comments:

Di said...

Rule number one, it's not how you look...it's how you feel. Wait, I screwed that up didn't I? "It's not how you feel, it's how you look"? No. That can't be right either. Crap. What the hell does Billy Crystal know anyway?!?!? Congratulations on your new adventure in life. Your goals sound like good solid goals that can be attained. Bravo for you. I look forward to following your progress. BTW - just so you know, I DON'T compete. I cheer!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.