Tuesday, May 15, 2007

It Takes Heart

As I ran around Tempe Town Lake last night, one of my buddies decided to give me a few words of advice:

"It is painfully obvious that you are out of shape. I can tell you are out of shape not by your high percentage of body fat, and not by your tremendously slow running times. I can tell you are out of shape by the readings on your heart rate monitor. It is all about the heart."

During what was supposed to be a nice easy level 2 run with my heart rate no higher then 153, it was screaming 179. And this was at a 13:25 / mile pace! For only 2.9 miles!!

He went on to tell me to only be concerned about my heart. My weight and my speed will both improve by taking care of, and controlling my heart. Only after conditioning my heart rate, will I start to see the weight fly off and the speed increase.

Up until now my heart been very one sided and has done whatever it wants. And it usually wants to go very fast. I am really looking forward to training in a way that allows me to have a say about the pace of my heart rate.

4 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

Zone 2 is your friend!

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Zone 2 is absolutely your friend! Check out some of Hitting My Stride's older posts -- she had the same issues with having to walk many of her run sessions just to keep the heart rate in check. But she found success, and I'm sure you will, too. And remember that as you progress, your heart will get stronger and stronger and soon your resting rate and zones will adjust to the fitter you. Stay aerobic now and those pounds will drop.right.off.

Good luck!

The Big Cheese said...

After the same advice from Com (not sure if that is your friend too) I have noticed a tremendous increase in my aerobic base.

LBTEPA said...

I was going to say, go and read the same blog IM Able told you to read! Siren (hitting my stride) found it maddening at first, but then reaped the benefits of endurance later.
take care and keep posting!