Monday, September 10, 2007

Method To The Madness

I found a great way to work out down here in the Valley of the Sun. I hate to wake up early, but I hate the summer heat even more. After hearing that the temperature was going to rise above 111 degrees I knew I would have to wake up very early to get in my scheduled workout. I have been working riding and running at night, but even at midnight it is not uncommon for temperature to be greater than 100 degrees.

I have discovered that my body does not do well in the heat. We all remember the Rocky Point Triathlon nightmare in Mexico last may. My heart rate is about 12-15 beats lower per minute if I am out of the heat.

With this being said I woke up at 3am and was riding by 3:30am. It felt great and I was able to cycle better in the cooler weather. I was able to keep my RPM’s at 95, go faster than my typical workout, and go further without totally exhausting myself.

I really enjoyed the ride, and afterwards I headed down to Tempe to meet up with a couple guys from the marathon group and ran a few miles with them. I was back home by 8:30am with two great workouts under my belt. All I had to worry about for the entire rest of the day was what games to watch on the TV.

I can see many more very early workouts in the near future.

16 comments:

LBTEPA said...

Sounds great - so solution-focused :)
I'm assuming you're riding on your trainer not outside in the dark?

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

You are a total stud for getting up early. I don't handle heat well and I tell myself a million times a summer that if I would just get up early I would have better workouts (or not miss them)... but I just can't seem to find it inside me to drag my butt out early. At least, not yet.

Tri-Angle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tri-Angle said...

Tony
I was out the door at 4 this morning, much nicer. John didnt' show for the Usery ride, and I'm not crazy about Usery in the dark alone, so I turned and went home. Still a good 25 miler and at work by 7:30....
Wanna ride Saturday? Early?

Comm's said...

your a stud monkey. But Stud Monkey needs to tell me if Stud Monkey is still doing the Tucson marathon with John and I at your pace. John has committed to 12 minute miles.

Unknown said...

Yeah, my body is not fond of the heat either ...

Dances with Corgis said...

3:30am?! 3:30 AM?????

I go to bed most nights at 2:00am. That is *so* not happening.

The Big Cheese said...

Still kickin?

Tri-Angle said...

yeah, no shit big cheese.....
Tony, Where are ya? Where were you yesterday?

Carrie said...

Where's Tony?

Brent Buckner said...

*tap* *tap*
Is this thing on?

The Big Cheese said...

TONY!!!!

The Big Cheese said...

POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

triguyjt said...

how cool is it at 3am tony??

nice blog... good luck training