Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Electric Ride

We have had some crazy weather down here lately. Last week my 12 foot high tree was ripped right out of the ground by the haboob (what a great word) that passed through the valley of the Sun.

On Sunday my plan called for a 40-mile bike ride. I woke up plenty early to beat the heat and start riding, but noticed the strong wind blowing the flora and fauna in every direction possible. I do not fight well against the wind, it usually wins. With this being said I decided to sleep in and ride during the evening.


Later that night I had a great ride through the Estrella Mountains. The sun had fallen and my bike lights were on full force. It was a great ride. The roads were nice, new, and smooth. There was very little traffic to worry about, and I was feeling great. A lightning storm was getting closer and closer so I called it quits at mile 23. I did not feel any drops of rain, and that was fine with me. With the lightning striking closer and closer I chose to head back to the truck and load up my bike. I still need to make up the 17 mile difference.




It was fun while it lasted.

5 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

Pssst. Making up time on the stationary trainer can count instead of making up the distance on the roads!

S. Baboo said...

Night rides are a blast, I bet the lightning show was great!

Dances with Corgis said...

Hey Tony! I just found your blog based on a comment you left on another site. Cool title :) Are you channeling Caddyshack? "Be the badass" ? :)

Sounds like a cool lightshow.

Di said...

Bigun and I had some lightening like that in your picture this week. Tampa is the Lightening capitol of the world. Last week I guess we had 4 or 5 people struck by it. One lady was walking from her bus (she drives a city bus) to her car. The lightening struck the building she was walking next to, sent out fingers and struck the umbrella she was carrying. She's okay, slight injuries but will make it just fine. the others...not so lucky.

The Big Cheese said...

I really do miss the fact that I don't live in Phoenix anymore. Nice post.