Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Mid-Term Exam

Half way through my training for the SOMA Half-Iron, I am now starting to get comfortable with what I am doing.

The last two weeks have been spent getting in some great training. As you know it gets quite hot out here in Phoenix, so I have been working out super early in the morning and also a few short workouts at night. I try my best to stay away from the heat; 114 degrees can make for a long training session.

I now feel like I have a routine that I am finally comfortable with. Some days there is only one discipline to concentrate on, and other times there is a mixture of two. So far I have not reached the point where I feel I am being overwhelmed. I see the bigger picture now and things both physically and mentally are starting to fall in place, and it feels great.

Swim: I swim once a week at the lake. Two times a week I wake up at go to 5:45am masters swim practice. I am still swimming at 60%, but I am working at being more efficient with my body position and stroke. This will make my 60% faster any I will still have energy left in the tank for the rest of the race.

Bike: Once my strongest discipline, this is now where I need the most work. I have been working on en entire different pedal stroke. I am also working on keeping my cadence at 95 rpm. I ride four times a week including one spin class and one long (50+) ride a week. I am now a slower cyclist, but a better cyclist. After a few months with the proper pedal stroke and rpm count my speed should catch up and surpass my previous times.

Run: I am starting to gain confidence in the run again. There first miles are the hardest for me both physically and mentally. Once I break through the first couple miles I am able to stay on cruise control. My mind seems to wander during the run more then any other triathlon discipline. I run 4 times a week with varying distances and tempos. I do go long (10+) once a week, I should add that it is very slow.

Rest: My Rest Day rocks! I love the scheduled rest day.

7 comments:

LBTEPA said...

That's huge! you are really laying the groundwork for a strong race

Brent Buckner said...

95 cadence - wow!

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

I'm really impressed you can pull off a 95 cadence! Try as I might, I can barely manage 80-85.

Di said...

What an excellent job! You have really come a long way since I started reading your blog earlier this year! Great job Tony, keep up the good work.

S. Baboo said...

Your training sounds solid. You should look forward to a good race. Also, see if you can start doing something about lowering the temps out there before SOMA...I'm not so interested in racing in 100+ temps.

Tri-Angle said...

Hey Bad Ass

You keep asking about Usery....
Thursday morning this week! If you can make it all the way over to the East Side by 5 am....
Gimme a call.
602.758.9077
Andy.

Burnt Couch said...

You sound like you're really on your way!! this is awesome. Good job! keep it up!